Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BBC - General Psychology 1.5

Question: Example of experiencing psychology in your life??


Response: An example of psychology that I have seen included my family but was mostly focused on one person. The past three months have been a time of trial and growth within my family. A family my parents were counseling had decided that they could no longer host the child that they had adopted. They had him spend the night at our house so they could consider their decision without his presence at the house or something. After that night he never went back. We have been working on adoption processes after a lot of prayer and contemplation. With this new six year old boy at our house we have been filled with so much joy and laughter. He has made so much progress since he came to us. I think the way we treat him compared to his last family has made the difference. He no longer has "panic attacks" like he used to and does not have as difficult a time obeying, eating, behaving or interacting with people. He is still very shy but has grown so much. I think my parents training in psychology and counseling subconsciously effected their relationship with him.
I don't know if that was an adequate answer due to the fact that it was not really about me so I will also talk about a psychological effect that I am familiar with. A very large portion of martial arts is mental. Personally I struggle with being intimidated by larger opponents so I do a lot of revising my mindset. In martial arts we always have to look at the glass half full in order to keep motivated. Always think "only a minute left" instead of "a whole minute left?" and so on. I realize that when I go to practice with a "ready to fight" attitude instead of a "I hope I do not get beat up.... again" attitude then I really do much better. I actually have my first jiu jitsu tournament tomorrow so I could very easily get worried and panic but I will be keeping my mindset on what I have learned and what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment