Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BBC - General Psychology 4

 Assignment: Understanding a little more about the brain, God's incredible design, state two structures of the brain that you did not understand before and how understanding it will now impact the way you view yourself, view others and your care for yourself and others.


Response:  The part of the brain that I learned the most about was the reticular formation. previously I did not even know this part of the brain existed. This part of the brain can trigger any other part of the brain if it deems circumstances relevant. It controls the sleep-wake cycle and attention focus. It filters the things around you as important or not important and can shut out the ones that are not important. Upon more research I learned that this part of the brain can develop habitual focuses or overlooking. For example, I live on a busy street and people are always saying "I wouldn't be able to sleep if I lived here." I don't even notice the sound anymore; my reticular formation simply overlooks it. The reticular formation is connected to the brain stem and if damaged then the victim can enter a comatose state.
Another part of the brain that I did not know existed is the limbic system. This part of the brain controls feelings and has some effect upon memory and learning. Emotions and feelings can be greatly effected by any damage or tampering with these parts of the brain. Damage to the limbic system can bring about a 180 degree turn in personality, but it can also damage learning ability and memory.
These parts of the brain both made me think about if I damaged them. I could loose much of my memory or even fall comatose. I do not think I would like that. Being in mixed martial arts I think this reading and study has convinced me to be a bit more careful with head protection for myself and my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment